MHWG is a new Working Group of HKPA to educate, develop, implement, and sustain mental health-related physiotherapy services and supports to the HKPA members. With its first Executive Committee formed in early August 2022, MHWG welcome more HKPA members to join and serve in the MHWG Executive Committee.
Aging population in Hong Kong increases not solely the MSK dysfunction and chronic morbidity with mobility and ambulation limitations, but also put strains on the deterioration of cognitive functions, mood disorders and depression. Together with the persistence of COVID-19 pandemic, the impact is alarming. The demand for mental health physiotherapy service should go not just within the institutional services but also into the community for people of all ages. With the global changes of the involvement of physiotherapists in caring for more and more mental health related disorders and illnesses, now is the suitable moment to strengthen connections among physiotherapists serving in the community, encompassing NGO, private, HA and the government sectors.
MHWG will collaborate with other related SG or WG to promote the mental health physiotherapy models, approaches, concepts, and research findings into the management of patients.
The objectives of the MHWG are three folds:
- To advocate the alignment, coordination, and collaboration of mental health related physiotherapy services in cross-sector and cross-NGO service.
- To strengthen public and academic awareness and accessibility to mental health PT services to enhance and improve quality physiotherapy service delivery.
- To promote the accessibility of the mental health Physiotherapy service in Hong Kong.
Deliverables of the WG in the first 2 years are:
- Anxiety, depression & sleeping disorders due to COVID-19 pandemic
- ADHD and autism
- Current Hong Kong mental health system and mental health physiotherapy services in the community
|Chairperson:||Dr. Anthony KWOK|
|Secretary:||Ms. Dorothy CHEUNG|
|Treasurer:||Mr. Joseph LAW
|Education & Professional Development Officer:||Mr. Chris KAN|
|Public Relation & Liaison Officer:||Mr. Eyckle WONG|